Monday, February 13, 2012

If God is Love

Last Sunday, while I was listening to the celebrant's homily about Jesus healing the leper, my mind was drifting with a thought of human suffering in this world. While God's presence is felt, experienced and manifested in some people's lives, I ask what about in the lives of those who suffer? If God is love, where is God's love in the life of the sick, the poor, the victims of injustice, the unloved, the unwanted and the dying?

I recalled the anecdote of the barber who doesn't believe in God. Then, I realized that in God's great scheme of things, there is a purpose for everything.There is purpose in unbelief, that faith shall be known. There is purpose in darkness, that light shall shine. There is purpose in sickness, that there shall be healing. There is purpose in injustice, that we shall seek righteousness. There is purpose in being unloved, that we may know of compassion. There is purpose in being unwanted, that we may understand kindness. There is purpose in dying, that we may find eternal life.

There is purpose, I guess, in all the human suffering in this world. However, the understanding of that purpose only comes in the light of knowing who God is in our lives. Jesus healed the leper who came to him, and all those who were suffering and called in His name in faith were relieved of their pains. That's God's love. It reaches those who seek for it and believe in it. And, those who believe share it with others in their everyday encounter with people in this life.

The God I believe is merciful and kind, just and righteous, magnificent and wonderful, kind and generous, and slow to anger. He sees the heart of his children, and in Jesus God sees his own. Thus, those who live in faith in His Son find the joy and love in God, amidst all sufferings. They see the light, even in the darkness of life. They have something to hope for, when everything seems to crumble. They feel secure and never anxious, for they know things shall find their places and everything will end well. My God is infinite in love.

I too suffered. Seven years ago, depression got me break down, and doctors thought that I would be forever dependent on medication, if I don't want a relapse. I took their advise for a few months. But, I clinged on to God and patiently waited for healing. Everyday I would pray that God bless the medicine I took, until a time came that I have to demonstrate my faith. I stopped the medication, instead had a doze of God's word daily and I filled my mind with God's promise. I thought, sickness could not break me down, for God is my rock; but I would If I did not let go and let God. And, God had His way in me.

I was fatherless at 8. We were poorer than the mice. My mom had no good education to get her full employment. All my father left us was a junk car we could barely sell for a penny. My older siblings then did not finish college to get better jobs, instead they opted to have their own families,which left me, my mother, my sister with a broken back, and our family-adopted younger sibling to God's care. Our house squat in a lot we don't even know of the owner, but we've been threatened for eviction from it several times. Yet, God put us through in all of those days.

It's valentines day today. I had been asked several times who my date was. I replied, what is valentines anyway? We can love 575,600 minutes of our lives in a year. Loving should never cease in just a day. I am happy as I am, for I know God is loving me from since the day I was conceived and until eternity. That's a sure promise that I hold in my heart. With that I am so grateful, and in return for that favor which I can never compensate, I love.

I love the family God gave me. I love the people where God put me to work with. I love the students that God put me with respnsibility to teach. I love my friends whom God brings to be at my side to share my joy and pains. I love my mentors whom God blessed with knowledge that I can learn from. I love my work, for the fruits of my labor are my offering to God. I love as much I could in everything that I do. With loving others, I also receive their love back. Well, that's basic: do unto others what you want others do unto you. Rephrased: love others and they will love you back. And, when and where there is love: God is.

Happy hearts day everyone!

No comments: