Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mamu's Shoes and her Shopping Attitude

All the rest of her grandchildren call my mother Mamu, except for the my eldest sister's children who call her Nanay. Though I don't often take her to the mall because it would tire her, I make it sure that in some occasions, she could get what she want and eat at nice restaurant when I take her out.

She's just so frugal, when it comes to clothes. Rare were the occasions that she allowed me to buy the clothes she could wear for some special events. Most were during the weddings of my siblings, and my graduation. For the rest of the occasions, she sew her own clothes. She makes her own dress, for the shoes, we buy them of course.

"Just give me the money, and I would buy my shoes in the market. So you would not spend much." We laughed in the sala as she was drinking coffee, just before we hit the mall. I had to buy her shoes again because she is attending two weddings, one this month to her niece's, in July to her granddaughter. Taking Mamu out and buying her stuffs she would like are small things I can do for her, which could never repay what she has done in my life. Now, that I can afford her that perk, I am more challenged since she is not perky nor picky at all.

She's not picky at all. When buying groceries, she would just pick anything, without actually checking at the price tag. She'll fill the shopping cart of a lot of things, unmindful of their cost. That's a fun thing to see. At several times, I'll have to pay more than ten thousand pesos for grocery stuffs which will run off in a month. Now, I'm more careful, when I'm with her I told her to compare prices. It works.

She's so careful in spending money, the perk of buying expensive things in the mall is just a waste of money for her - particularly to clothes. Like last year, she told me she needed a red blouse, which she doesn't have and no one else in the house has, because only she has double x-large to triple extra-large size in the family. She saw one which she really really liked. I told her it was fine to take.

While going to the counter, her granddaughter saw the price and jokingly told her how "social " she was. The blouse cost 2,000 plus. I didn't really mind buying that for her, but she insisted to find a less expensive one.  For me, I'll be happy that people find her clothed well, but she'd rather stay humble and simple. We ended up not buying any blouse.

With shoes it's different. Because of her size, she goes for the flats, nothing glittery and other fancy accessories. Just the plain, black, brown or cream colored sandals type. She's got good practical choice with shoes - Hush Puppies or Rusty Lopez. In our first stop today, she did not like anything. Then they went inside Hush Puppies store. She found a nice pair of sandals, which she thought was just less than 500 pesos.

That was the same case when I bought her first pair of Hush Puppies sandals. We thought we got a good them in the sale price, since the sale signage was on that shelf. They were not on sale, but I got them for her anyway. She would not just go for a pair (LOL), she would get another pair somewhere in another store. She would tell me, this pair is for this, and the other is for that.

She's not really brand-conscious, it just so happened that the shoes from those two stores fit her soles very well and suit her preference.

We'll that's fine with me. Her shoe shopping habit is just unique. The same thing happened today. She thought she got a good deal with the shoes she tried on. As we walked towards the children's clothes. Mamu was still looking and trying some other shoes. My eldest sister asked why our mother was taking another pair of shoes. She told me "why they are just 249.00?". I saw the box, it was Rusty's. "I uttered yes right, it' alright".

I told my sister, never to talk about the price when you're with Mamu at the mall, because she would not take them, if she realizes they cost more than a thousand pesos. What a Mom! I so love her shopping. She's got the attitude.


No comments: