Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On LIfe's Storms



When one says his life is in a storm, he means he is in trouble. In another way, the word storm is used positively as in "the people stormed the show". We've been having stormy days lately in Manila. Due to a shallow low pressure, the storm named Gener has been devastating northern Luzon.

In central Luzon, floods inundate low lying areas, and landslide cover communities. Well, my country is an archipelago, surrounded by water, and in monsoon season, typhoons storm the islands. Storms can be devastating, life may be lost as well as properties. Hence, we apply it as a metaphor to our very own struggles.

Thankfully, life is going smoothly for me, at least when it comes to my personal concerns. With my mom and my kins I don't have any problems dealing with them. With my work, I deal well with my colleagues. Amiable as I am I keep smooth interpersonal relationships, not to avoid disagreements but simply to maintain influence that I need in most situations.

Ah, something reminds of that repeated question I was asked as to whether have I been in any disagreement with my colleagues, superior or any one I work with. I could not really remember anything. Disagreements are conflicting situations. I find them arising like storms when one of either parties think better of his self or thinks unequal with others.

It's like the storm, when the wind shows its strength over the waters, it brings water and gusts to destroy lands. I answered that question, fairly well I guess: that I am a peacemaker, and I act as mediator in most situations. I do enter into arguments. I do disagree with some views. But, I have my way in the argument and so accept my defeat with a better debater. I can cash in my ideas and obtain agreement without really disappointing anyone.

The point is I treat people equally. I don't think highly about myself. I appreciate, while I keep an eye on areas of improvement. I call it that way because I'd rather see the positive in things than otherwise, so I get to be in sync with others. I also apply this in dealing with my students and superior. The thing is I don't have to create a storm to make myself known. I'd rather be the humble breeze that chills a restless soul. I'd rather throw a sunny smile and vent my rage somewhere else, to keep my day bright.

No comments: