Saturday, December 25, 2010

Say the Magic Word


We have family traditions, I mean my family's traditions. We are not well-off, but through time as we learned the value of good education, the virtue of hard-work and the nobleness of having a kind heart for others, we see change in our economic state. So in return, as a sign of thanksgiving we come together to make the children in our family and the those from our neighborhood happy on Christmas eve.

One of our family traditions that we started back in 1998 is holding a Christmas Party for children in our family and within the neigborhood. We initiated it because we got tired of going out on Christmas eve to attend a party in Pasay where we used to live because it was really a hussle to be rushing to go home for the noche buena. Besides, were a big family to be in that party.

We start this party at around 7 or 8 pm. The moment we play the music, children will draw in. We are not sure where they are from or who they are, but we welcome all of them. With my cousins who are working we contribute for the food, the prizes and the gifts that we will share to those kids. Then we have fun, lots of fun through several party games.

Sometimes, we have a cake. Children will blow this cake after they sing happy birthday to Jesus. "Happy birthday Jesus" is the magic word. We understood the even as not merely to have fun and party at Christmas. But, we celebrate it because that day is the day we know or we believe Jesus came to this world.

We have the traditional paper dance, stop dance, best dance, blow the flour, planting rice, break the pot and the pabitin on queue for the activities for that night. The last part of the program for the children in the neighborhood is to have fall in line to get their loot bags. In this, each has to greet Jesus on his birthday, simply by saying "Happy Birthday Jesus".

I take that magic word seriously, because that is the essence and the meaning of our celebration for that night. I take it seriously so that the Children will be reminded of what Christmas is all about. That beyond the fun,food and presents that they have, Jesus is the center of the celebration.

On this Christmas eve, those children one by one greeted Jesus, except for one my nephew who has grown up and now 13 jokingly greeted me. While all the rest greeted Jesus, he greeted me. I asked him was it my birthday, he said no. I told him to say what the other kids said, he said no. No that he will not take the loot bag anymore. I had to force him to say the magic words, then he said so, but did not take the loot bag anymore.

I felt he was embarassed with my prompts and his actions. But that's the way it is. That can be criticized to be too conservative, but I stand firm on my point that such expression of faith as way of giving thanks is something of great importance that can not be made into a joke. The virtue of being grateful and showing that gratitude through this party that we organize for the children is our share to give Christmas some meaning for our family and others.

1 comment:

skysenshi said...

Thank goodness, someone remembers to greet the real reason for Christmas. <3