Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How I feel when students fail


Marking a student's course card "R" which means repeat instead of failed, is a moment that really leaves me with a heavy heart. Some could think that I am mean when I fail students. But I never failed any, they earned that for their selves. The modest thing that I could do is to explain to them by showing the records what they have done.

Ethics and professionalism guide me, to keep any grade untouched, unadjusted to accommodate favor to those students who failed. Since there is a higher virtue that keeps me stronger on my stance, I get to feel more secure of my decisions, and I become more conscious of the various implications of this situation to my status as a teacher and as an ordinary social being who feels humanely as possibly required.

Objective as I might have been, still I have to deal with students with failing marks tactfully. One rich kid who failed in the other component of the course, passed in the component I was handling. But his midterm grade was way too low and failing. I saw him tried his best to do what I said for him to pass when he got failing midterm grade. Sadly, he did not do well in the other component. When all grades are in he got a failing mark, which I did not expect.

There were two more athletic scholars who failed under me, but the Sports director only sent me a text message for one of them. That reads: "Good afternoon Mr. Rivera. This is sir G from XXX office. I would like to ask about Student F if she could still pass your subject? Because she wont be able to play if she really fail in your subject." The director sent this message to me twice, because I did not reply first as I felt privileged not to do so.
Running in my mind is a question about what this director thinks of me. I am not market vendor for him to haggle with me. Then, I have no business with him, as he is not my student. I first replied a single word to that message: "NO", thank God it failed to be sent, and I got the chance to give him a more professional response...

"She knows were she fell short, she knows d consequence of her shortcoming, she knows as well how attendance affects fulfillment of requirements 2 pass. Her rounded off grd is 69, due 2 failure in lab. She was made aware of her chances n abscns from midterm. Let her learn focus n priority if she loves sports as student of this school."

The director's reply was brief, "OK sir, thank u." I sure do want all my students to pass, but I can only do so much. And, whatever I may do as a mentor will have no value neither yield positive results when a student does not really put his mind, heart and body to what he or she ought to prioritize. Grades are final marks of achievement, if they are not finalized they are not student's grades for their performance, but a teacher's whims and subjectivities.

A true mentor has a deep sense to make the meaning of education clearer to any student, grades are irrelevant when expected competencies in a course are met by the students. They merely become symbols of achievement and performance. Over extracurricular activities, the learning that students may obtain in the academics are more important than anything. That is, if it teaches them the values and virtues of facing life as learned men and women.

I empathize with my students based on their needs and observable patterns of behavior that needs remediation or intervention. I know what it feels to have a failing grade. I know what it takes to evaluate and measure student's learning performance. I know that my responsibility is not to preclude any student from succeeding and achieving the learning objectives.

I feel slighted when someone of my rank or coming from authority asks me such question of possibility of passing someone whose records show otherwise. I find it more disparaging to transact with other officials seeking favor or asking about chances, and of giving considerations, when everything of those has been done. I have and I always make it straight to my students to challenge their selves to exceed their expectations and mine, and so is to challenge me and my actions if I err so that I may learn too by others-self-rectification.






1 comment:

skysenshi said...

Marking a student's course card "R" which means repeat instead of failed, is a moment that really leaves me with a heavy heart

I feel the same way. As for that director...this has been my bone of contention with my former boss. We have different ethics. Especially when it comes to plagiarism. That's why, even though I still support my students (by going to exhibits even though I no longer work for their institution), I try not to look back to that former profession. Masakit lang sa dibdib.