Saturday, May 14, 2011

It isn't nice up there!


Moving up the career ladder is perceived in various ways, by those who intently are looking but without ability of understanding. One could suspect politics, favoritism, coercion or other things taken when someone moves up in several steps in the career ladder. For those who lag and who remain in ranks, this generates false assumptions and bitter work-relationships later on.

Five years ago, I applied in the college where I'm still currently connected because that was the only one that had opening by the time I left a foreign language center. I wasn't hired immediately, but a term passed that I was called for an interview. Because of my teaching experience, local and abroad, I didn't go through the usual selection process. I skipped the demo lesson, and even the dean's interview.

I accepted the part-time teaching offer. The school pays generously, because of the hazard of teaching community-college students. I began with six units. I got very satisfactory to outstanding evaluations. So my teaching load was increased by the next term. With consistent performance, I managed to enjoy the reward of teaching overloads
.
In my earlier years in the college, I was most often invisible to my colleagues, but I would audaciously share my opinions during our assemblies. I would also be involved in activities that department organized, taking responsibilities, how difficult they may be. Because I was not always in touch with others in the department, sometimes I would miss deadlines, but never the very important ones.

When I am at fault, I appreciate to be rectified. I admit my faults and take actions to do things right the next time around. Incidentally, I got hired in the college when my previous university professor was in position as the area chair. I was even surprise to see her there, while I was expecting someone else. Definitely, I would not have been hired because she was my former professor, for during our college days, we were really not that closed. So, I am sure I got in, because I have the competencies that the job needs.

When opportunities came, I would accept training jobs and consultancies, but of course I made sure, their schedules do not conflict with my work. I started as part-time faculty, but I demonstrated the same concern and responsibility of full-time teacher. Two years passed, I was invited to teach full time. That came a term after I earned my Master's Degree, and when there was a need for it. Though, it should have been earlier.

I enjoyed a term of being off from studying, before I decided to enroll in PhD program. While I am under a three-year probation for a permanent tenure, I managed to complete my coursework. To make use of my education, I engaged into doing researches that are relevant to my field. At several times, I generously share my findings to the department. Further, I succeeded in presenting papers in national and international conferences, published some works, and still keep on performing extremely well in my classes.

From an invisible nomad, I am moving next week to my own desk and office. Since last year, my name rings among the faculty to be replacing our area chairperson. But things turned differently, and I had to wait, until my permanency is approved. While waiting, I busied myself in doing a research that would help the department. This project hit three birds with one stone, it helped the department, it helped me complete a course requirement, and helped my research assistant in her graduation requirement for an MA.

Others think I was just lucky, that I completed my PhD, got permanent, and then promoted in rank and promoted in an administrative position. Surely, this would come to the envy of others. Silently, all these came at one term. They did not come out of luck; they were the fruits of all hard labor, love for work, passion for teaching, commitment to sharing knowledge, and being in accord and collegial relationships with the people I work with. I have thought of them before, I aspired and not just wished for them.

Some others think, that I got to where I am now, simply because I have the right connections and that I am nice to the right people. I am nice to everyone that I am in good working relationships. But my being nice stops when I think I need to say the boldest truth. As I am in rapport with others, I don't hesitate to tell even the most bitter truth that could hurt. Because being nice is a licence to lie. In most cases, the truth hurts, but it is liberating.

As I have set my mind to all those good things, I tired my body to realize those dreams. No, they were not just dreams, they were my visions, my aspirations, things that I hoped for and things that I wanted. When I have set my mind as to how I could get them, my body tuned in to working them as I wanted. Great things happened in my life, because I set my eyes on far greater things, while I keep a heart of flesh when it comes to dealing with people.

But, not everyone thinks like the way I do. They still think that nice things come to nice people. Greater things, things of high value are a result of great work. It is not just being nice. Because being nice is less than mediocrity. It only appeals on the surface of human character. Being nice is just a feeling. In reality, in complex and competitive world, nice is nothing as to excellence.

People driven to be highly effective, aim for excellence in everything, and so they excel. They move up, and those people who thinks moving up nice tells that succeeding person, it's not nice up there. Great people would push others to move up and they see it as the consequence of meritorious actions. Those who keep on doing excellently has no other way but up! Those up there and below who say it isn't nice up there, are just not worthy to be anywhere.

2 comments:

skysenshi said...

Ako naman, I don't want to move up. (I'd rather have something I could call my own, a business.) There are times when I do want to take responsibility, especially when I see that things are out of order but if I see that things are fine, I don't want to take leadership roles (even though as an 8, people naturally assume I'd want that). Then some bitter people would say that because I'm a genius, I never had to do things the hard way. Both are false because one, I am not a genius and two, I got to where I am because I'm dedicated to things I love and not for any particular career-driven reason.

It's not really nice up there. When you make difficult decisions, people are quick to judge you for it -- maybe out of sheer envy or just the fact that Pinoys have that talangka mentality. In order to make themselves feel better, they have to say something bad about someone else.

Rod Rivera said...

Sky you're right, but you have moved up, that's your sense of personal growth. You are very influential in the many things you've done. That makes me look up to you oftentimes.

Your achievements, your works, your experiences, the genius in you, your passion - they are not career driven (extrinsically) but intrinsically. That I think we share, that we do what we want to do, regardles of what we hear from others.

It isn't nice anywhere, when people don't undertand what nice is.