Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dining with Friends



Post-Christmas invites are really hard to ignore, especially when they come from my dearest friends. No matter how bland the food is, they seem to taste great because I was with awesome people.

First was with my highschool friends. We really wanted to have a good time over dinner at this Platinum KTV in Polaris St. in Makati. But we didn't. The 5K we paid was not worth it because of the poor service. We took the package 3-hour package that goes with food and drinks. Since the waiters were very slow in serving the food, and they had to serve it in piece meals, I get to drank myself of more than half the bottle of red wine which was bitter. I would have appreciated it more, if they served us Novellino.

After that most of us went to have some coffee. Our first choice was Starbucks because of brand familiarity, but we ended up in Gloria Jean's cafe because it was too crowded. I love their pastry as I get to try their tea. I'd prefer Gloria Jean's pastry over Starbuck's the serving may not be so big, but its pastries are not so sugar-heavy unlike that of Starbucks.





Second, was with my dearest friend Jane. Although I missed her first invitation because I got to go with my mom to the groceries that day and I was not just not in the right outfit. Of course I would not dare go dining in palengke clothes, although SM was not so far from Greenbelt 5.

So I got to meet Jane the next day, and we spent a great time talking about her married life over pasta, bread and coffee. When I got there in Cibu, she had already ordered that creamy pumpkin soup. No there was no cream in it, but it was thick and really delicious. Our main course was their familia rigattone, which we ate with some pieces of bread along with some spinach spread.

I really loved that pasta smothered with a mixed of creamy white and some tomato sauce, served with slices of sundried tomatoes and sauted shrimps. That was great. The tomato tastes like the kamias pickles, sour, sweet and salty that burst in your palate.

Then we had coffee at Starbucks in one corner of the old Greenbelt. I am just so happy for my dear friend, as she advances in her career and her marriage life with healthy growing smart kids. Yet, she never forgets where we both came from, among all my college friends, Jane never really forgets me. I mean we just have a special bond, that we clique.




With her and with my other friends, I can just let my hair down. Then just recently, a colleague of my mine from more ten years ago, invited me for a dinner with her husband. Sheila came from Canada with her husband and kids, but I get to missed seeing her kids that day. With her was also a college classmate who I worked with in the first college where I taught for three years, Liza.

The three of us share something in common, they are both from Bicol. While Sheila is from Naga, Liza is from Albay where my father came from. Thus when we talk, we could really be laud. Liza came from Australia, where she works now. We just had great conversations, wild laughters, some reminiscings of the past and some serious business talks.

We ate an early supper at Chillis in Greenbelt 5. The restaurant have big servings that two people can share but after our buffalo wings appetizer and some other stuffs, we ordered individually. Sadly, it was only the Chicken crispers that I really liked. Although I ordered for Chillis Fajita Trio with guacamoli sauce, my buds didn't really appreciate the grilled meat.






Politely I had to finish what I ordered, but that food was not just a good treat. I liked the texture of the beef, chicken and shrimp, even though they lack the grilled taste. A shawarma, or the burrito that I can prepare would taste much better. I had to taste their marinara past on white sauce, but It just tastes that just put some cream chees on it.

Then we had coffe at Seatlle's best, because Starbucks was so crowded. That was last Wednesday, but Greenbelt park just looks like the holiday's isn't over. On those two days, the food were just mere instrumental, that we could get together. Dining with dear friends who I don't meet very often are indeed moments to remember and even look forward to.

1 comment:

skysenshi said...

Binabasa ko pa lang tumataba na ako. Hay. Holiday spirit. Happy new year! :D