Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's Your Motto in Life?

A group freshman students approached me in the office for an interview regarding an assignment in their communication skills class. They wanted to get a profile or personality sketch of a college professor. I could not deny the request, because one of the group's member was clever to hold me up by asking her aunt (my colleague) for that interview.

They came more than half an hour late as to the schedule I agreed with my colleague. Yet I still entertained them. They observed the interview protocol by asking some factual questions, like the subjects I handle, my age, my previous work experience, number of years in teaching, etc. But they got so many questions, that I blunted if they would like to read my resume, instead?

They said they had other more important questions. The first one of which is: "What's your motto in life?"

That made me think spontaneously. I answered: "Life is like a rosary that's full of mystery". They laughed and replied, sir a serious motto please. I retorted: "Ah OK, love is blind", and I really hoped that would do them a favor. They laughed again, but oblivious of my replies.

"Sir, I mean like what is your teaching motto? Because your answers are so funny and not serious."
My mind went blank. She got me there! I said "If you asked serious questions, I would have answered seriously. You're getting the wrong answers because you are asking the wrong questions." I explained to them further, that a motto is not anymore important to me at my stage.

Motto's are for kids experiencing puppy loves and enjoying the doodles in a slum book. There is no teaching motto either, but teaching philosophies. Motto's in life are immature not so rationale. Life philosophies are. So they changed their question to ask what my life philosophy is. My answer...

"Who you think you are is who you become."

1 comment:

skysenshi said...

Cut and paste from this blog and then they could submit this to their teacher. LOL!