Thursday, January 13, 2011

Forgetting my Mom's Birthday


Yesterday, while I was crossing the street to take the LRT going to UP, I felt really really guilty. The thought that I forgot to greet my mother on her 72nd birthday got into my nerves. It rang to my head, that would be the gravest mistake that I could ever do in my entire life.

She woke me up three times from bed, because I left a note on the dining table for it. I had coffee with the water she boiled. I wore the clothes that she folded and hang in my closet. I woke up from the bed that she makes everynight. Yet, I just left to work without a memory of her birthday and not even greeting her.

Before I left the house, she even asked me some money because some of her sisters in her charismatic group are going to have their prayer meeting in the house. Well I gave her 500 pesos for their snacks. Then I just hurried to work.

Guilt got into me. I had been preoccupied thinking of celebrating her birthday in a restaurant over the weekend, yet I failed to greet her that day. That afternoon, I wanted to call her over the phone, but I didn't for no reason. My mind was just drifting about what I would tell my professor as an option for our class project.

I wanted to call my sister to buy cake and some food which I would pay later, and greet my mom for me on her birthday. Yet I didn't. After the class, I was held by two classmates for some chat while smoking. In between the folds of my brain is the thought that by the time I get home, my mom would be sleeping.

How cruel would that be to my mom, who has been caring for me ever since I was born? My classmate offered a ride but I asked if she would be passing by a bakeshop for me to buy a cake. She even asked why a cake. I replied it was "mothergoose's birthday". My other classamate said, that we could stop somewhere in Quezon Avenue for the cake, so I rode with her home.

I did not see any bakeshop, by that time. Most shops are close at half past ten. I got home and it was silent. My sister was having her dinner, my brother in-law was washing his face already. My cousin was on our sofa watching TV. I asked: "what's the food for the party?" They asked, "What party? It's just January 12."

"Thank God for delivering me from the sin of forgetting my mom's birthday", I murmured. I checked the calendar as reality check. Today is my mom's birthday. She is the most wonderful woman I ever have in my entire life. When I woke up at half past 2 this afternoon, before I drank the coffee I made out the water she boiled, wearing the clothes she washed and folded, I greeted her: "Happy birthday mother goose!"

She uttered back: "Thank you even if that's coming from your nose!" With a smile I sat outside and sipped coffee.

2 comments:

skysenshi said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog Sir
Belated Happy Birthday to your MOM!

Jhen dE guzman