Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Born in the Year of the Rabbit



I was born in the year in the Rabbit, the chinese calendar say's so. The Chinese zodiac can be understood in hermeneutics, that is considering constructed realities based on traditional beliefs of a cultural group of people.

Chinese hermeutics believe that Rabbits are playful, creative, wise, agile, competitive and clever. I have subjected myself to believe that horoscopes are but coincidental. But taking into consideration the labor of men who brought all these together, I could not just ignore it because it is so rich as a cultural text.

Psychology also has its own system of classifying and describing individual personalities. Sociology also takes from science in understanding social and cultural diversity of groups of people.I don't have big pair of ears, no whiskers, no paws, and no furry skin, my tail isn't that up always. Rabbits too have big sexual appetite, which I've lost years ago.

But I am fascinated with the knowledge in this cultural texts of Chinese Zodiac, many of the descriptions that they have for those born in the year of thre rabbit just fit my personality traits. It's amazing for me, that I suspect that this had been a product of research, like maybe they are the earlier versions of psychological differentiation of human personality.

I remain cynical though. However, again I am to consider that astrology in the history of human civilization is part of metaphysics from which physics and other sciences were brought forth. The knowledge of ancient astrology can not simply be totally debunked.

Now, considering my faith and my humble understanding of human nature, I am affirmed that we are creatures of varied traits. Those traits that one possesses may be inherent to anyone or maybe everyone. We just don't notice, because we only pay attention to what we really want to look at and we are influenced so much by the desire of esteeming our self.

As an individual, I am a product of what nature brought me, what I brought upon my self and what others even those before my times contributed to my development. I am created, therefore, not by the alignment of the stars, but with how I put those stars in the alignment I want to so I can see my life path better. Now, the people around me, whom I share my self also have their share in recreating me, and I too in them.

I am who I am not because the calendar says it so. I haven't stumbled upon a scientific research yet, that our personalities are determined by year or date of our birth. I'd rather consider genetics, social interactionism, constructivism and cultural learning as more fitting perspectives to understand our individual uniqueness.

2 comments:

skysenshi said...

Malas daw mga Rabbits in the year of the Rabbit...

Rod Rivera said...

LOL,luck is something we create, by doing the right thing at the right time and at the right place with a right attitude. Sounds leftist right?