Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why did I want to be a teacher?


Honestly, I had never thought nor seen my self being a teacher. I studied to work in the media, any media because all I needed was a job. But, working a short-stint in an entertainment magazine bored me in its routine.

When I felt I mastered the operations in the office, I lost the zest to continue. Aside from that my college classmates, according to their bragging, were so doing well and financially satisfied with their jobs. I needed a job that would pay higher, and I wanted something that will pull me off my feet and challenge me to become more competent.

I didn't look for a teaching job. It found me. A college classmate informed me of an openning for a teaching position where he was already working. That computer college was at its peak before the Y2K bug, because IT was the thing in the coming millenium. I forwarded my resume, and the college called me for an interview with their Human Resource Director.

I passed the initial screening and the examinations. I was scheduled for a demo lesson with the dean, a group students, and some teachers, including my 'friend'. The students and teachers were satisfied enough with my demo teaching. They applauded after it, like as if I was an actor. Then the panel interviewed me.

The dean asked why I wanted to be a teacher. My honest answer was that I share with others who wants a job, but I furthered, I thought I had what a teacher needed to have. I believed then, that I had knowledge that I could share to the students. My 'friend' who was pursuing then his masteral studies, put me in the hot seat.

He pointed to my face, that I didn't have the qualifications and that I didn't have any masteral units. I replied that I was willing to learn and pursue further education. That was my humble and humiliating beginning, which I thought I just wanted to try, but later on I learned to love it and give more to it with passion. After then, there was no other vocation that I entertained except teaching. Now, do I still want to be a teacher?

Teaching found me, and I found my self in it for through it I am able to share not only knowledge but my self. I will be alienating my self to who I am and who I want to be in any other field. No matter how difficult it could get, I will find my way through it because I know what I do is not just for my self-gratification, but for bringing transformation in the lives of many others.

2 comments:

skysenshi said...

Teaching found me too. I was actually exhausted from the corporate grind and decided to just concentrate on my master's. It was in the middle of my first term of master's that I was invited to teach. At first, I saw an opportunity to train kids that I would hire for future projects...then I fell in love with the job. :)

I guess it's a calling.

Dolly Paolucci said...

Teaching is never easy and you made it! I do have a friend who also turned to teaching and she said the fulfillment of sharing her knowledge was the key. Oh, that sounds great! I hope I have the same patience that a teacher has. Hehe! Cheers anyways! :)