Saturday, February 5, 2011

Celebrating 50 Golden Years


Ana, the eldest of us seven siblings celebrated today her 50th birthday, and with that celebration was also her 3-storey mansion's blessing. Coming from work, I went to her house to join the celebration, but I missed the fun because all my other kins have left for home.

She is 50 though, but she doesn't really look that old. It must be in our family genes that we don't look our age, we physically mature gracefully and gradually. As the eldest among us, she married first. Hers was the first and the last marriage that my father attended. I guess she's happy in the life she chose for herself.

She took after my ancestors Chinese business instinct, that she was able to her husband in his machine shop, then they were able to put up three paint stores and car accessories store. She wants the best for her kids, and the only thing she feels a little sad about is that among her three kids, only the middle child had finished college.

She would often ask me as to how she would convince my nephew and neice to pursue their degrees, because she feels that having education is important for them. Like any other parent she believes that education is a treasure that they can give for their children. I told her, that they have given the treasure already and are still willing to help them, but let them be because they are not ready to take the responsbility for that treasure.

She took some years in college, but she was not able to finish it. She had to work to help my parents, then got settled with her family. But as a sister she was very supportive of me. She was the one who encouraged me to take the exam in Manila Science, even though I did not pass. She told me to go to UP for my bachelor's degree, yet I was just in the waiting list.

She bought my first branded rubber shoes when I was in gradeschool,from her husband's bonus. When I was in highschool, she would ask me to take care of her first born, my neice, during weekends so she can give me money for school when I go home. She never told me to study hard or focus on my studies, because she knew I can manage on my own.

I wrote my first MA thesis in her house, because I didn't have a computer then. She lent me the money I used to process my papers for my first international teaching job. She lent me money again for my first research paper presentation in an international conference.

When I came home from working abroad, t told her of my need for a sponsor because I wanted to study in Ateneo, and she agreed. But I recoursed to completing my unfinished MA studies in Pamantasan. I guess she wanted me to study in Ateneo, because our father studied there for high school.

My eldest sister has done so much for me, her appreciation for my efforts, her support in my studies and my dreams, her confidence that I can make a difference in life -- all those have made me a better person that I am. I wish her all the best in her life that all the desires of her heart be granted, and that her life be filled with joy. May the Lord grace her health, length of years, wisdom and all the life's bounty.

1 comment:

skysenshi said...

Gosh. Happy birthday to your ate!